Skin Cancer Surgical Audit
Sonic Healthcare has created an independent, Australia-wide Skin Cancer Surgical Audit (SSA) to encourage ongoing refinement diagnosis, detection and collection of skin lesions.
With more than 4,000 participants, the audit is designed to improve the quality of patient care and outcomes, and general practitioners are provided with statisically relevant feedback about their own clinical practice and peer-comparisons .
Continuing professional development
RACGP – QI & CPD Category 1 points (Surgery)
40 Category 1 points awarded to eligible participants who complete the audit (i.e. reviewing interval reports and submitting evaluation questionnaires for two consecutive time-intervals).
Additional Category 1 points are available for doctors who complete further sets of time-intervals in the triennium. It also qualifies as a QI activity for eligible participants with a specific interest requirement for surgery.
ACRRM – PRPD points
30 PRPD + 30 Surgery MOPS points are awarded to eligible participants who complete the audit (i.e. reviewing interval reports and submitting evaluation questionnaires for two consecutive time-intervals).
Additional core points are available for doctors who complete further sets of time-intervals in the triennium.
– To reflect on clinical outcomes by comparing personal findings to a pool of your peers as well as the national GP cohort, including:
- the total number of patients referred for dermatopathology
- the number of new lesions
- the number of previously biopsied/excised lesions
- the percentage of new lesions tested that were malignant
- the number needed to treat (NNT) for all skins cancers; non-melanoma and melanoma
- diagnostic accuracy
- margin adequacy
- itemisation of surgical management procedures and biopsy types
- relative sample adequacy
– To look for practice improvements and educational learning opportunities